Child has blackhead on nose. How to remove this?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 5 year old daughter has had a blackhead on her nose for 2-3 months. It is in the same spot where she had a persistent whitehead as a baby (baby acne). Her skin otherwise is clear, and even somewhat dry most of the time (we live in a dry, cold climate). Should I take her in to see the doc, as acne at her age seems abnormal to me? Could it be a sign of an underlying health problem? Or is this one pore just blocked because it was for a few months as a baby? Also, how can we remove the blackhead? We do very little to her skin--less is more I figure.
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 44 minutes later
Yes you are right in saying that acne in kids between 2-6 years of age is not usually seen and may indicate an underlying hormonal or developmental disorder .
But usually in hormonal disorders or skin diseases the lesion is not usually single and usually the other parts of the face or skin of body is also affected hence in your child it seems most probably a blackhead or a persistent clogged pore due to the previous infantile acne condition .
In any case its best to avoid popping it and as you rightly said in skin conditions the less you do is best.
There are topical ointments like benzoyl peroxide or prescription medications like tretinoin which can be applied to treat blackheads however it's best to consult your dermatologist before going ahead with any such intervention .
In most cases these blackheads in kids are self resolving and need no treatment , however since you mention it to be long standing ( 2-3 months ) it would be better to get it evaluated by your doctor and get a confirmation .
Meanwhile you neednot scrub it and just gently cleaning the face with mild soap and water would suffice.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.