Child has black things in stool, child taking strained baby food, woke up with screaming, glazed eyes.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Yes, My daughter called me from Vegas and was telling me her 6 mo.,old boy had a regular bowel movement,however in the stool was these black things that looked like sold yet soft different shape things with a appearance, and feel of a prune. Never seen such things with our 3 children. He is still on strained baby food. I got a call this morning from her. They had to take him to hospital last night. He had woke up with terrible screaming,glazed eyes, could not appear to be able to see or hear their voices. The screaming continued so went to hospital. Doctor their said it was night terrors? I would like to know if any of this is in-common with each other. Could a person have blood clots in the stool? Thank you for replying.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

Yes a person can pass blood clots in stool in case of various gastrointestinal problems.

It's not very common for babies to have gross blood clots in stool suddenly unless the baby is suffering from severe gastrointestinal tract(GIT) infection or obstruction, yet it is possible.

It is common to have such crying spells associated with any git problems in babies. So yes in your grandson, the stool and crying could be related.

Since he has already been to the doctor, the only way to confirm is to get a stool routine test done even if he isn't showing any black things or gross blood. The test can detect even minor or occult microscopic bleeding. If the test is normal then there is no need to worry.

Kindly let her discuss it with the child's pediatrician who can after thorough examination and tests rule out any infection or obstruction.

I understand your concern for the strange appearance of the stool but in case of infants
it is better to confirm and be on the safer side rather than speculate or wait and watch.

Hope I have answered your query.

I'll be available for any follow up queries.

Follow-up: Child has black things in stool, child taking strained baby food, woke up with screaming, glazed eyes. 2 hours later
what about the waking up to the screaming and not looking at you or anything as if you are blind? No aknowlrgment to voice or toys,etc. Is it possible to have also been a clot or as out patient person told her it was night terror. That can last over an hour or days etc.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Inconsolable cry in the night or any time with no response to soothing by parents can be commonly caused by abdominal pain in children as I already mentioned in my previous reply. Further, the crying can go on for hours and recur many days

GIT problems like colic, infection, obstruction or ear ache or nose block are the common causes of inconsolable crying. Night terrors are diagnosed if all these are ruled out.

So if your daughter feels that the doctor has examined and investigated her child well enough to rule out these cause and now the child is absolutely fine, only then it should be labelled as night terror.

There is no specific treatment as such for night terrors. But if the problem recurs, then I would advise a detailed check up by her paediatrician and if required above mentioned tests like stool routine to be on the safer side.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept the reply in case you have no further queries.