Child has been taking Nitrofurantoin and started getting itchy eyes. What to do?

Jun 2015

My 10 year old daughter has been taking Nitrofurantoin since yesterday and started getting itchy eyes today should I have her stop taking the medicine until I can talk to her Dr. on Monday?
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stop the medicine & consult her treating doctor

Detailed Answer:

The common side effects of Nitrofurantoin includes nausea, vomiting & diarrhea.
But few individuals have also reported incidences of pain in eyes & itching.
If your daughter is getting itchy eyes due to the medications, then it will subside on stopping the medication.
Kindly discuss with her treating doctor regarding this.

Itching in eyes is mostly allergic in nature which subsides on its own.
However, if it is associated with pain & discharge, then it will be better to consult an Ophthalmologist to rule out any infective cause.

Till then, clean her eyes with cold water & make sure she gives proper rest to her eyes, avoid exposure to bright light & avoid going out in the sun directly.

Wishing your child a Good Health.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.