Child has asthma. Now occasional fevers and upset stomach. Given ibuprofen. Proper cure?

My son has occasional fevers and upset stomach. Today for instance he went up to 101.3 and was sent home from kindergarten. He has asthma and the school nurse para thinks his spitting up bubbly stuff is his asthma. I have to wonder if he has the Milk and Cookie disease I heard about recently. Apparently his dad fed him a late dinner last evening. But that shouldn't cause a fever. He is a little constipated at times. I was talking to some people recently and they wondered why with these fevers his doctor(pediatrician) hasn't done any labwork, especially when they have not found an ear infection. He gets so miserable with a fever I have to give him ibuprofen.
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Small kids going to kindergarten fall ill due to exposure to community acquired illnesses because of exposure to various viruses and bacteria in the peer group.

Annually child falling ill 5-6 times is taken as normal.If any episode of your child's illnesses goes beyond 5-7 days then his doctor would definitely do lab investigations.

You will need to discuss with his doctor whether your son has signs of Allergic Rhinitis or Asthma and if the doctor claims that there is no asthma then giving albuterol and Flovent will not be needed.

As far as the diet is concerned give him healthy food like fruits and veggies which have almost all the multivitamins and fiber needed to improve immunity .

Kids love sugary food items don't stop them but should be given under moderation .
Never give him these before going to bed to prevent from milk and cookies disease which is a life style eating disorder .

For his fever now continue him on ibuprofen and see to it that he eats in between and is well hydrated.If he has difficulty in breathing and and has increase in respiratory rate then get him examined by his doctor.

Hope to have answered your query.

Follow-up: Child has asthma. Now occasional fevers and upset stomach. Given ibuprofen. Proper cure? 13 hours later
But my concern is this on-going come and go problem with spitting up all this bubbly clear stuff. He runs to spit in the trash can every few minutes for an hour at a time or more when it is "active". What would be causing this? Even with no other symptoms, fevers, or problems this keeps him home sometimes.
Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 45 minutes later

The bubbly clear stuff most probably is the sputum or mucus which comes when there is a bout of productive cough .A 6yrs old kid will not swallow it they feel comfortable spitting it.

Most of the cough specially asthmatic cough after having relieved them with bronchodilators release the mucus trapped in the wind pipe which probably your son gets it out especially after a bout of cough.

On the other hand If he has no cough and he is still spitting with a feel of nausea then that is due to gastritis or a reflux .Milk and cookie illness also leads to gastroesophageal reflux or backlash which could land up like an asthma and treatment will be more or less the same as in asthma along with a antacids and prokinetics besides the dietary modification.

You mentioned giving Flovent on and off .Flovent is a steroid and has to be given as a Preventor for asthmatic attacks.It works best when given on long term basis as prescribed by the doctor .You have to be convinced about his asthma because if you are not then the compliance of giving the medication is hampered .Hence I mentioned earlier to discuss with his doctor so that you stick to the medication he has been prescribed if he has asthma.Though he has had no wheezing attacks but self medication with medicines which relief him temporarily will only delay the diagnosis.

I would suggest you to get him examined by his doctor so that these issues could be discussed and diagnosis could be achieved and treatment given accordingly.

Hope to have answered your query.

Take Care.