Child has arachnoid cyst in left lobe. Should he stop playing baseball and riding rides?

Nov 2013

My 13yr old son was just diagnosed with arachnoid cyst by left lobe. I am very scared, they say it is 2.4cm this was a acidental finding. Should I stop him from playing baseball and riding rides at amusement parks. I have read alot of scary things. Will this shorten his life? Please help me with some answers
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 58 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
Arachnoid cyst in the brain is a fairly common finding and as in your son's case, it is very often an incidental finding. It would be reassuring for you to know that in most children with arachnoid cysts, there are no serious manifestations. Most children are totally normal. In some children, it can cause headaches. In some other cases, it may cause fits (seizures). However, it does not shorten the life span. All people with arachnoid cysts have a normal life span.
No treatment is usually necessary for arachnoid cyst. MRI should be repeated after 6-12 months. If there is no increase in the size of cyst (as is often the case), nothing needs to be done. If the cyst progressively increases in size or it causes frequent fits, then it needs to be surgically removed.
I hope I have clarified your doubts. Please feel free to ask any more questions, if you have.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Child has arachnoid cyst in left lobe. Should he stop playing baseball and riding rides? 27 minutes later
so does this mean he can continue to play baseball and ride rides at Disney world and live normal or do we change things. Thank you so much for your help.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Your son can lead a totally normal life and continue to play baseball. He can also enjoy the rides at Disney world.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM