Child has apraxia, sensory processing disorder and got fever. Not eating properly. What to do?

My 4 year old has apraxia and sensory processing disorder. He has self limited food to crackers and juice for about a month now, prior he only had a few more food options we could get him to eat. We had allergy blood test done and were going to put him on a gluten and dairy free diet but have not been able to start yet. About a week ago he had a fever of 103 for 3 days. He was taken to the ER cause of a febrile seizure the first day of fever. They said it was something viral but no ear infection no other sick symptoms and throat clear. Since then about a week later no fever no sick symptoms, he has had no energy and has been falling asleep during the day which he never does. Napping for 3 hours and sleeping all night. Like I said he has eating issues but now they are even worse and he is not eating anymore then just some crackers. We live in a rural area and the medical staff is not very familiar with ways to help my sons neurological and feeding issues.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your dilemma and shall try to address the two issues raised by you:
1. Eating problem.
2. Febrile convulsions.
3. Neurological issues.

The eating problem is unrelated to the apraxia and sensory processing disorder. It is a habit which has been developed over time. Though difficult but it can be handled patiently and firmly over time. You need to provide healthy and nutritious food to your son. When he has a few morsels of the healthy and nutritious food you should reward him with whatever he likes such as the crackers. Gradually you will find that the intake of the junk food will reduce.

His present problem of sleeping for long hours and not eating can be reduced by waking him up frequently and giving him something to eat or drink.

Febrile convulsions occur at this age due to high fever and has been addressed by the ER doctors. You need to ensure that the temperature does not rise fast in future. Keep acetaminophen/paracetamol handy with you and start it whenever your son develops fever. In case febrile convulsion recurs then further investigations will be required and your son may have to be kept on anti-convulsant medications.

As your son suffers from apraxia and sensory processing disorder he requires a concerted effort for the management which will involve:
1. Physical therapy
2. Speech therapy
3. Occupational therapy
You will have to discuss this issue with your local doctor and arrange for the therapy in the nearest city.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal