Child has abdominal pain, loss of appetite and started vomiting. Any ideas?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My daughter is almost 6 and for the last few months been complaining her stomach hurts, sometimes she throws up, she has had very little appetite and just wants to sleep. She says her stomach hurts all the time but hurts really bad after she eats. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 47 minutes later
Abdominal pain in children is difficult to diagnose as most of the times the cause is non specific.
In some children there is underdeveloped digestive system and hence it is quite difficult for them to digest whatever is given to them including milk. The colic starts as soon as intestines receive the food material.

The reasons for abdominal pain may include constipation- usually due to less capacity to digest the food material by the intestines.
Some children may produce gas in stomach and so in intestines; that may again lead to develop abdominal colic or pain. Children should not be overfed as it may also result in vomiting and gastro-intestinal disturbance.
Anti spasmodic syrup may be given in restricted doses for immediate relief.
There are some home remedies like giving one milliliter of ginger juice and a very little pinch of rock salt. You can also give your child the holy basil’s juice, which is very effective most of the times.
To rule out the presence of any organic cause, you can go for ultrasound scan and X-ray of abdomen erect under the guidance of your pediatrician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.