Child has a hole in ear with greenish discharge. On siprogut and antibiotic. Asked to avoid contact with water

My son is 8 and has been diagnosed with having a hole in his ear. for the past 3 years his ear has had a smelly greenish discharge coming from it, on and off. İ have been advised that water must not penetrate the ear at all, no cotton buds etc.. he lives on siprogut ear drops and sometimes antibiotics, in between. What can i do to stop this? i am tol an op may be needed but he is too young. i just want it to stop now..please advise
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seems that your son is having Chronic Suppurative Otitis Media.
The main treatment is to avoid all sources of infection in the ear canal so that the ear discharge stops and allows the ear membrane to heal spontaneously. You are already taking care of all the preventive measures needed.
In case there is no spontaneous healing then surgical treatment is recommended.
Kindly get him examined by a ENT Specialist so that he/she may examine him and rule out the cause. The Doctor may also run few tests like,

1.) Blood work.
2.) Tuning fork evaluation, to rule out if he has a sensorineural or conduction deafness
3.) Tympanometry.
4.) Audiology exam.

Once the cause is confirmed, he will be treated accordingly.

In addition to the medications, follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Keep the ear dry while it's healing, Place a silicone earplug or cotton ball coated with petroleum jelly in the ear when showering or bathing.
2.) Refrain from cleaning the ears.
3.) Avoid blowing the nose.
4.) Stick to the treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.