Child has a habit of sucking thumb finger after stopping lactodex. How to get rid of this habit?

Hi, My daughter is 3.8years. She has a habit of sucking her right hand thumb finger. She got this habit when she was 5months old. I stopped giving lactodex and she got this habit. She was born premature with 1.7kg birth weight. What can be done to get rid of this habit? She sucks only when she wants to got to sleep or when she is not busy.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 37 minutes later

I understand your concerns and empathize with you. It is usually a habit and it needs behavioral therapy after consulting your doctor.
Thumb sucking in some cases is due to nasal obstruction or an adenoid mass in the posterior part of nose for which you should get X-ray neck lateral view done.

You should reward her the period for which she does not put her thumb in mouth.
In addition, do not scold her for this reason.

Keeping her busy and attention diversion technique can help a lot.

Hope I answered your query, if you have any other query, I will be happy to answer.

Follow-up: Child has a habit of sucking thumb finger after stopping lactodex. How to get rid of this habit? 27 minutes later
She does not have any nasal problem I think. She looks fine? I think I have to try the other method. Any short cuts?
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 30 minutes later
Thanks for your follow up,

Ok then all she needs is behavior therapy.

Make her self aware, that when ever she puts her thumb in mouth ask her that where is your thumb?

Also limit her time of thumb sucking just to bed and then afterward she will quit.

Do not punish her for thumb sucking.
And be very friendly and helpful to her.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish her good health