Child has MRSA which is infecting eardrum. Will this cause any harm to brain?

My seven year old grandson contracted MRSA in August through an emergency ear surgery in an ER. This MRSA has completely destroyed his affected eardrum. ENT specialist is sending him to a more experienced ENT at a learning hospital in our area, My question is ; If the MRSA continues into his middle ear , is there a chance it could also infect his brain?
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
The chances of getting the MRSA infection into the brain through the middle ear are remote but cannot be ruled out completely.
Your grandson needs proper antibiotics according to the culture sensitivity report. Local debridement of the infected area and regular cleaning will help in decreasing the chances of any further spread of infection.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Child has MRSA which is infecting eardrum. Will this cause any harm to brain? 1 hour later
Antibiotics have been changed twice already. My daughter is using a syringe to insert antibiotic ointment into the middle ear per ENT's orders. He is also taking antibiotic by mouth. Should this treatment be enough to kill the MRSA?, or might he still harbor the infection somewhere else in his little body?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Both the local and systemic antibiotics should be enough to take care of the infection. Please do not worry. He is getting the right treatment. The infection will take 5-7 days to subside.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.