Child has FAS, seizures, abnormal behavior. Taken Lamictal, Neurontin. EEG normal. Is hospital stay necessary?

Hello, my son was born 3 months preemie to an alcohol-drinking woman and was eventually Dx'd with mild FAS (normal MRI). At 1-2 he had 2-3 complex febrile sz mixed with a period of intermittent activity suspicious for non-febrile sz. Daytime 8hr EEG was normal. After 2, for years there were no dramatic events but a couple of times we noticed complete unresponsiveness (once with a sudden unexplained/bizarre fall) or possible small sz. At 3-4 he had two abnormal extended EEGs; the first was "abnormal due to the presence of frequent burst of irregular slow waves admixed with spikes mainly during drowsiness and sleep states XXXXXXX and the second was similarly reported as epileptogenic; we were variously told he had seizure disorder, that he was unlikely to completely outgrow sz, or just that he was at risk. We and the doctors decided against meds because nothing frequent was happening by that time. At age 7-8 he began having what looks more definitely like simple and/or complex sz (Dr. refers to them as complex), variously with behavior arrest, "[strange, intense but not necessarily unpleasant] remembering XXXXXXX "going deaf and then suddenly hearing again XXXXXXX grimacing or doubling over, and always with "a weird feeling I can't explain XXXXXXX The epileptologist added Lamictal (he was already on Neurontin for a sleep disorder) and the events have (almost) completely subsided. Yet the doctor still wants an EEG correlate in hospital, since the last 40+-hour EEG was completely normal. The problem is my son has hospital-setting PTSD primarily from an invasive test at age 3, having already been subject to dozens of Dxs and many painful procedures, some since that time. The neuro keeps saying the events _might_ be something else but won't say what except "sensitive guy"(?? not unless he googled "partial seizures" and is faking them, with a tendency for clusters no less) or PTSD flashbacks, which the psychiatrist completely ruled out, especially in the context of these events (playing, eating, etc.). I'm just wondering how necessary it really is to have another hospital stay now that everything but the newly normal EEG is pointing to epilepsy but my guy is still phobic of hospitals and stressed out by the mere thought. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 4 hours later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your query,

Please note that neither a normal EEG nor an abnormal EEG can tell that some has epilepsy or not. The only test with 100% accuracy is video-EEG test which your doctor is doing. I think it is worth doing as your son may come out of medications if these spells are not epileptic in nature.

Hope this helps
Please let me know and get back to me in case you have any other concern
I will be happy to help you

Best wishes