Child has Down Syndrome. Developed rash which has surrounding redness with purple dots. Suggest?

My grandson is @ 20 months old. He is Down Syndrome. Recently he has developed a type of "rash". It's not raised or crusty etc. It looks like a friction type rash witout surronding redness. It's just teeny tiny purlpe dots. Like blood has come to the pores . He is very fair and red headed.

Should we be concerned?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
It could be a friction rub or may be due to low platelet.
I would like to know where exactly the rash is ?
Does he have fever or was there an episode of fever in recent past.?
Does he have sore throat?
Kindly answer the above questions.
If possible please upload a clear photograph of the rash.
There is an option to upload photographs on right side of query page
This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis.
Waiting for your response.
Thank you.
Follow-up: Child has Down Syndrome. Developed rash which has surrounding redness with purple dots. Suggest? 25 minutes later
No it's not a friction rub as it's in various parts of his body. It started on his right forearm and has since appeared on his other arm his legs and his buttocks.

He's only 20 months old and Down Syndrome . He's not verbalizing much at all so I don't know if he has a sore throat. He does have some congestion . He recently had ear tubes put in his ears due to reoccuring ear infections.

He is also teething .He is with his parents at this time and I currently don't have the means to upload pictures.

The spots look like a fine purple pepper was sprinkled on him.
He did have a ENT follow-up @ a week ago and by her account he was fine. At that time however there was no rash.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
The history of congestion is important.
In infants congestion is usually due to a upper respiratory tract viral infection.
These viral infections tend to decrease the platelet levels for a short period of time.
This leads to appearance of purplish bruise like lesions.
you dont need to worry much,it is a common condition.
soon he will recover.
Let me know if there are any other doubts.
Thank you