Child had urinary infection, advised DMSA scan. What are the interpretation of report?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hi.. My baby girl is 9 months old now. She had urinary infection in her 6th and 8th month. So our paediatric advices us to take DMSA scan. We took the same last week and here are the results. Report : The left and right kidney shows cortical tracer uptake with heterogenous tracer distribution and no cold areas. Split renal function - left kidney 51% Right kidney 49% Impression : No demonstrable cortical scarring in both the kidneys. Please let us know the interpretation of the result whether there is any problem and also remedy to avoid infection in future. Thanks in advance
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Both kidneys are have normal function .

Detailed Answer:

Based on the facts and reports of yours 9 months old baby girl that you
have posted it appears that she has UTI twice during the last three months and treating Paediatrician has advised to get her DMSA scan done.

The DMSA scan is a nuclear medicine study done to assess the kidney function and damage (Scarring) of the renal paranchyma by any congenital abnormality especially Vesico Ureteric Reflux(VUR) which is the most common cause of UTI in paediatric age group.

The report that you have posted is normal and there is no evidence to suggest any functional or anatomical abnormality.

Please do not worry and treat her with appropriate antibiotics as per advice of your paediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Child had urinary infection, advised DMSA scan. What are the interpretation of report? 7 hours later
Helloo doctor,

Thanks for ur reply. I have few more doubts. I didnt understand the following sentence "cortical tracer uptake with heterogenous tracer distribution and no cold areas." Please explain it in simple terms. And also please suggest us some home remedies to treat urinary infection in future. My baby is 9 months old, but weighing only 6.4 kg and 64 cm in height. Is it normal for her age? Thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better consult Pediatrician

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up. On injecting DMSA, it gets circulated evenly in the cortex of the kidney. This is termed as tracer uptake. In case of any abnormality or in presence of renal damage, it is is not heterogeneous but shows uneven distribution with absence of the drug in a diseased area, what is called as cold area.

As regards to her weight, Pediatrician will be best person to address your query.

Thanks and Regards.

Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Child had urinary infection, advised DMSA scan. What are the interpretation of report? 1 hour later
Thanks doctor. As per the result since there is no infection in the kidney, What might be the cause / reason for the UTI for my baby. Please let me know some home remedies. Our pediatric has suggested sporidex antibiotic daily for 6 months. Is it ok?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be bacterial contamination...

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.

It could be a bacterial contamination due to contamination of cloths or dippers. Please observe proper hygiene by cleaning her genital with warm water every time she passes urine.

Continue antibiotic prescribed by your paediatrician.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.