Child had sudden rashes on back and limbs, pain, difficulty swallowing, tongue ulcers

my 6 yrs old daughter duddenly had eruptions/rashes on her back, body & limbs. but not on her face. she is having pain and difficulty in swallowing and is also having ulcers on her tongue. kindly advice.
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later
Dear AAAA,

I am sorry to hear that your daughter is ill.

Based on the history provided, it seems she is suffering with scarlet fever. This is caused by a bacterium known as group A haemolytic streptococcus. It gives rise to sore throat skin rashes and affects the tongue which becomes red and inflamed and is called strawberry tongue. If you test rashes with a tumbler, you will find the rashes will disappear with pressure. Along with that there may be other symptoms like sore throat, vomiting, headache, etc.

Fortunately this condition responds well with antibiotic namely Penicillin. A ten days course will be adequate. For the fever and sore throat solvable paracetamol tablets can be taken four times daily and give her plenty of fluids to keep up the hydration.

Please consult your pediatrician for further tests like sending throat swab for culture and sensitivity and also the blood test for infection.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if you have got any other queries.

I wish your daughter to get speedy recovery.

Kindest regards