Child had stuffy and runny nose and now with mild fever. Medical cure?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 3 year old has had a temperature hovering around 99.6 degrees for about 4 weeks.. Initially, she also had a stuffy/runny nose as well. However, that resolved itself a while ago. I have taken her to the doctor for an examination and nothing was found to be wrong with her. The doctor assures me there is nothing wrong with her and she has no other symptoms. Could her body temperature just be higher now? Is that possible?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
I would like to ask for few details before I can guide you in the best possible manner.
Have you taken her temperature at different times of a day , with different instruments or settings( at home and at the clinic )etc to make sure if there is indeed a persistent rise in her body temperature since 4 weeks.
Also I would like to know if there is any change in the climate or any travel to a new place or situation ( new daycare etc).
Wether there has been any change in her fluid consumption or urination (frequency , quantity , colour ).
I assume she is asymptomatic now and the doctor has ruled out any infection or similar cause during the examination .
If there is no positive detail amongst the above mentioned then the most likely reason could be a physiological ( normal ) variation in her body temperature either due to climate or hydration or post viral illness .Occasionally hidden infections like fever only as the chief complaint.
In any case unless it is disturbing her activities or diet there is no need for any intervention and it would be wise to wait and watch for self resolution .
If however the temperature rises beyond 100 F and there is a pattern associated ( evening rise of temperature ) then it's advisable to get some baseline investigations done ( like blood counts , ESR , X-ray etc) to confirm the diagnosis .
As of now it doesn't seem worrisome .
Hope I have answered your query .
Awaitingyour response,
Follow-up: Child had stuffy and runny nose and now with mild fever. Medical cure? 16 hours later
Yes, I have checked her temp. throughout the day, always with the same thermometer. The range is about 99.3 to 99.6 during the day , going down to around 98.5 at night.

She doesn't go to daycare, she stays at home with me. But, she did go to Sunday School class about 3 days before all of this started. Her little brother also had a stuffy/runny nose a couple days after she did. So, I just thought they had caught a cold. But then her temp. just stayed at that number. She has been tested for a UTI and it came back negative.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
According to the information you have provided I really don't see any cause for worry as this could be considered a physiological or diurnal variation of her body temperature .
If she is active , feeding and sleeping well you absolutely do not need to worry .
In cases of infection mostly there is a evening rise of temperature rather than temperature coming down at night .
Just make sure you keep her well hydrated through the day and I hope she will be maintaining her temperature soon.
If at any time her temperature persistently crosses 100 F then it shoulld be considered abnormal and should be further investigated by blood tests.
As of now I won't recommend any further measures.
Hope that answers your query.
Wishing her good health.