Child had stopped breathing and was placed on oxygen. CT Scan showed seizures and blood clot. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
granddaughter is 3 days old and she had stopped breathing from 10-30 seconds at a time several a day she was placed on oxygen and a ct scan was done. they say she has XXXXXXX seizures and has a blood clot on the right side of her brain exactly where unknown. Please tell me what doctor they should be seeing and if they should get a second opinion as to they are told they will not know what kind of brain damage she will have. worse case in a wheelchair and mentally challenged.
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry about such serious diagnosis, but you have to be there for her and her parents. This is still lifethreatening condition and first 14 days for baby are of most importance and if she survives this, she ll probably live. The brain damage is extremely hard to evaluate since this is very complex organ.However, she should see pediatric neurologist which can evaluate what type of brain damage can it be depending on localization of affected brain vessel. Usually those are vessels for motoric function so her cognition may not be effected at all.
Motoric function is very complex and most such functions and disorders cant be seen in newborns and early baby age, since most of them are not developed yet(it develops in next 4-5 years). So during her development in next several years, your doctors can notice which functions are preserved and which not. From my experience,most such patients recover much better than it was expected.Of course, you and her parents must be patient, get good rehabilitation and therapists for her and work with her very hardly. I am sure that results will be positive. But go step by step,she must leave hospital in good general condition with good vital function. after this you can focus on her brain damage and rehabilitation. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask.