Child had stomach virus, taken Zofran, gagging, diarrhea, no vomiting. What can I do to stop gagging?

Question
My daughter (6 years) had a stomach virus on Saturday (got sick 15 times) & had to get a shot to stop the vomitting. She felt better Sunday, went to school Monday, but was tired & started to gag on Monday night. She took a zofran & went to bed. Woke up Tues & said she felt like she need to gag again. She did (didn't throw up), but then has had diarrea (the end of the virus I guess). She was fine other than the diarrea yesterday. Today (Wed) she woke up & had diarrea again & then started gagging. She hasn't thrown up--she said she's scared though (understandable--considering what a rotten Saturday she had). What can I do to help her get over this gagging feeling??
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Your daughter seems to be suffering from viral or bacterial gastroenteritis. The gagging feeling or the nausea in medical terms, is occurring as a residue of this illness itself. The following measures will help:

a. Give her plenty of fluids, particularly oral rehydration therapy. The latter is available as Pedialyte. She needs to take 5 tsp for every pound of weight. Other fluids, including water and diluted juice can be given in small quantities.
b. Encourage small, light meals.
c. Recommended foods include a combination of complex carbohydrates (rice, wheat, potatoes, bread), lean meats, yogurt, fruits, and vegetables.
d. Medication to reduce nausea are called anti-emetic drugs are used only under speciaal circumstances. However, they are prescription drugs and you would need to see her treating physician for the same.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Child had stomach virus, taken Zofran, gagging, diarrhea, no vomiting. What can I do to stop gagging? 1 hour later
thanks for all the info! she was prescribed zofran...the one that disolves...is that what you are talking about?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Zofran contains ondansetron which is used mainly as an antiemetic (to treat nausea and vomiting). Your daughter has been prescribed this drug. However if the symptoms persist then your daughter may need antibiotics as it can be a case of suspected bacterial gastroenteritis.