Child had small amount of potatoes. Having gas and spitting milk. Had diarrhoea and changed formula milk. Suggest the treatment?

Feb 2013

since last saturday my daughter is having gaz and spitting milk more than usual this remained till wednesday Diarrhea started first day was the worst she pooped 4 times the other days she pooped 1 to 2 times only but its not solid sometimes its like cream sometimes it was mixed solid and abit like cream today she pooped liquid.
no fever no other changes she's active and eating as usual,diapers are wet as usual.
i need to till you that we where out of town till last saturday all this happened just after arriving home ,when we where out of town we had to change her formula milk as her milk didnt exist at the visited country and we returned to her old milk when we came back ,other thing she ate a very small amount of potatos in the plane and every thing started about 4 to 5 hours after that
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Monitor and maintain the child hydration.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The child developed an episode of gastroenteritis mostly due to a virus infection, because of some contamination during the travel, or due to change of formula milk.

The mainstay of treatment in diarrhea is to maintain the hydration of the child.

I suggest you to give sips of oral rehydration solutions (ORS) like Pedialyte, lemonade to prevent dehydration.

Oral probiotic and oral zinc will restore the normal gut homeostasis and help to decrease the loose stool.

Curd and yogurt contains natural probiotics and you can give the child as a home remedy.

Monitor her hydration status by her activity, urine output, skin turgor, and the moisture of oral cavity and tongue.

So keep on giving sips of ORS to maintain the hydration of the child and consult the pediatrician for clinical examination and for prescription of supportive medications like probiotics and zinc.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.