Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Child had put bleach diluted sponge in mouth. Anything serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 11810 Questions
Hi my 16 month daughter put a sponge in her mouth an hr ago and it had diluted bleach on it
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 49 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The main component of bleach is sodium hypochlorite.

The main side effects of ingesting bleach are sore throat, nausea and vomiting, diarrhoea, coughing, abdominal pain, possible sores on the esophagus, low blood pressure, difficulty breathing.

Since the bleach would have been diluted, then she is unlikely to experience all of these effects. She may experience sore mouth or throat and possibly but not definitely abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhoea.

She needs to be encouraged to drink as much as she is can either water or milk , this will flush any of the bleach out of her system, do not try to make her vomit because then any of the bleach that comes out may cause problems to her esophagus or aspirate into the lungs.

You can consider checking her mouth for any sores or lesions that may have resulted from the bleach that may be painful to her. If any are present then the application of an oral analgesic solution or spray would be helpful. If you do not have this then you can use oral paracetamol.

Monitor for any of the symptoms mentioned.

You may want to consider taking her to her doctor for an assessment.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor