Child had puffy eyelids and noticeable vein during birth. Given Vitamin k eye drops during birth. Suggestion?

My baby is 10 weeks old. At birth her right upper eye lid was a little puffy and a small vein was noticeable.
The problem seems to get worst in the last two weeks. It is sometimes a little blueish. There are no signs of inflammation and the baby does not have any signs of pain or discomfort.

She does put her head on the right side when she sleeps. Also, when breast feeding she appears to rub her eyes with her knockles. We try to stop her.

The blueish puffiness is worst in the morning and somewhat appears to subside during the day.
The puffiness results in the baby not fully opening her eye. (not as much as the other).
At birth, she was given vitamin K eye drops at the hospital.

What is going on?
Should we be concerned?
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 21 minutes later

Thank you for your query and sharing the photographs.

I can understand your concern. From the photographs it appears that your daughter has congenital malformation of the blood vessels over th right upper eye lid. Such a condition is very common and it tends to increase in the first year of life and then subside. Though nothing needs to be done at present but it is always better to consult an ophthalmologist to ensure:
1. The eye ball is not getting pressed.
2. The vision in the eye is normal.
3. Squinting does not occur.
4. To rule out any other condition other than the one I am suspecting.
Further course of management shall depend on the progress and age of the child.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal