Child had pelvic ultrasound and dermoid cyst was found in ovaries. Is it possible to remove?

Question
My 7 year old daughter just had a pelvic ultrasound and a dermoid cyst was found in one of her ovaries. It is 2.8 cm in size and appears to be contained within the ovary. Is it possible for a surgeon to remove the cyst while saving the ovary considering that the cyst is inside of the ovary?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Observation advisable and tumor marker to be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Dermoid cyst in this age group are mostly benign in nature, that is they have little chances to be cancerous.
You should get the seeum tumor marker levels that is CA125, Alfa fetoprotein and LH levels.
There levels within normal range helps rule out malignancy.
Also monitor the size of cyst by ultrasound of ovary every three months for two observation if static then yearly scan is advisable.
Mostly these cysts regress with time.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!

Follow-up: Child had pelvic ultrasound and dermoid cyst was found in ovaries. Is it possible to remove? 12 hours later
You did not answer my question. Please re-read my question and tell me if it's possible for a surgeon to save the ovary considering that the cyst is contained within the ovary.

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is possible

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
While removing cyst of 2.5 cm, it is possible to save 50-75% of ovary & that is sufficient to produce ovum.
Though it is rare but if there occurs uncontrolled bleeding while removing cyst there can be need of removing whole ovary.
So there are more chances of ovarian salvage & you can go for surgery.
All The Best