Child had loose stools, prescribed darolac powder with honey. Safe?

Feb 2013

My baby is six months old.Had loose stools five times daily.Doctor prescribed darolac powder with honey.Is it safe to take honey at this age.

Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Honey is not safe at this age.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Honey is not safe in children below the age of 1 year because of the risk of infant botulism.

Honey is the source for the growth of a bacteria known as Clostridium which is responsible the causation of infant botulism.

Hence I suggest you not to give Darolac with honey.

Instead you can mix Darolac powder in small quantity of expressed breast milk or purified water.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.