Child had itching and burning sensation inside foreskin. Have white lumps and is red and swollen. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, my son is 5 yrs old. He was feeling itching and burning sensation inside his foreskin. Upon remving the foreskin I saw some white lumps. I cleanex it with savlon. Now it is red and swollen with pain. Shall I take him to emergency or wait till morning
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 22 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

It depends how severe swelling is.If there is only mild foreskin swelling without vascular flow obstruction then you dont have to be concered. You should clean penis head and foreskin with water and mild soap and never apply savlon again. After cleaning, retract the foreskin over the penis head. This is obviously irritation or allergy reaction which isnt uncommon after excessive savlon use.
It usually isnt serious and it will subside spontaneously in several hours but just watch for some serious signs: inability to retract foreskin or to urinate, penis head paleness or swelling progression.If you notice this, you should visit doctor as soon as you can. Wish you good day. Regards