Child had head injury after seizure. Applied ice to bump on head. Need for concern?

My daughter had a seizure and hit her head on the porcelain tile. She's had seizures, concussions & and concussion syndrome before so I'm not concerned with that, but the bump was large, I held ice on it, but my question is "why is it squishy" in the middle?" Do I need to be concerned that something else is going on?
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello ma'am.

First of all, all head injuries need to be reported. Usually in most patients admission and strict monitoring of vitals is done for the first 24 hours.

In case symptoms like nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness, seizures, headache, nystagmus, etc; are noticed, an immediate MRI of the head is recommended. The squishy presentstion could be due to accumulation of blood, this is not to be taken lightly, which is why I request you to take your child to an ER at the earliest.

Please do not ignore this as it is better to rule out the worst instead of taking chances with your child.

Wishing your child a speedy recovery.