Child had fever, runny nose. Prescribed calpol and T-minic drops but no relieve. Suggestion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My son 8 months has fever and runny nose since the last 2 days. When we consult a paediatrician yesterday evening, she prescribed Calpol drops, Mega-cv drops, and T-minic drops. We have been giving calpol drops for the last 2 days before consultation. But the fever, after giving calpol, relieved only for about an hour. We did sponging to bring down the temperature which usually reach 100 F. When measuring his forehead temperature, the middle part of his forehead usually read a lower temperature than the sides of his forehead. His temperature changed rapidly and frequently. Sometime he would sweat and his temperature dropped to normal for about 2 or 3 minutes and then rise again. When his body temperature rises his palm and feet became cold. While he sleeps, during fever, he produced a wheezing sound in his breathe that used to fade away when his temperature get back to normal. Will it be safe or more effective if I give him Combiflam suspension instead of calpol ? A week before, we gave him O2 suspension as he had foamy stools at that time.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
It appears that your son could be having possible Viral fever.
Fever is when temperature is 100 degree farenheit or more usually. Normal body temperature is usually 98.6 degree farenheit.

Usually viral fevers will subside on their own within a week or two unless they get complicated.

Your son can do steam inhalation for relief. Keep him well hydrated with plenty of warm fluids and especially fruit juices.

For running nose you may apply 2 drops of saline nasal drops to each nostril twice a day for relief.
Dress in 1 layer of light weight clothing and sleep with 1 light blanket (avoid bundling). (Caution: overheated kids can't undress themselves.)
Keep warm, avoid exposure to cold as this could aggravate the problem.
Combiflam can be given instead of Calpol drops. It is likely to provide him a better relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Child had fever, runny nose. Prescribed calpol and T-minic drops but no relieve. Suggestion? 14 hours later
Is it alright that we did sponging? We were afraid that he might have seizure since his elder sister had seizure once. Will making warm his cold feet and palm help? Do we have to cover him with blanket while his fever subsided?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 55 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Cold sponging is not needed for a fever less than 102' F. It does not cause any harm however.
Seizures usually occur in fever more than 104 degrees.
There is no need to warm up his feet and palm. Just keep him covered with a light blanket even after the fever subsides.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Child had fever, runny nose. Prescribed calpol and T-minic drops but no relieve. Suggestion? 3 hours later
His back of the neck and head became hot during fever. He would sleep quietly for sometime when cooled with a wet cloth. During fever he would breath fast and developed wheezing sound. Are these symptoms to worry about?
There are sores at the tip of his tongue. Will it become complicated and ulcerated? Is it due to all the medication?
Thanks again, you answers were very helpful.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The fast breathing and a mild wheezing is common in a viral infection. This is likely to subside gradually in a week. These symptoms are not worrisome. You can use a wet towel on his neck to comfort him.
The sores on the tip of the tongue can be associated with viral infection or vitamin B complex deficiency. Proper supplements will help in recovery.