Child had fever and insect bites, prescribed bactrim and also giving Motrin. Suggest?

Feb 2013

My 2 year old daughter had up to 102.5 today with no other visible symptoms besides some insect bites. The urgent care dr said that her ears and throat were fine, but was converned over bites...prescribed Bactrim. Around 9pm, my daughter was approaching 100 fever, so i gave Motrin before bed. I've checked her temp twice in the night and its been 96.5. I have never seen that on her, so I am crying/scared. She seems to be comfortable and sleeping. Please, help!
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 44 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wrap the child in warm blanket, check temperature.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Low body temperature (hypothermia)followed by fever may be seen with viral fevers due to autonomic instability with excessive sweating.

The probable causes for hypothermia in a child with fever are:

1.Profuse sweating because of autonomic instability.

2.Some times ibuprofen (Motrin) may cause decreased body temperature.

3.Poor peripheral blood circulation caused by shock and sepsis.

But in younger children, hypothermia is a concerning symptom. The danger conditions like bacterial sepsis, shock with poor peripheral blood circulation has to be ruled out first.

As the child seems comfortable and sleeping, I suggest you stop worrying and take the measures to warm the child.

Switch of fan, air conditioner if they are on, and wrap the child in a warm blanket. If the child wakes up, I suggest you to give warm fluids to drink.

Give her plenty of oral fluids to drink to maintain hydration of the body.

Check her body temperature again after 15 to 30 minutes of taking all the above warm measures and if the body temperature is still low take the child to emergency immediately to monitor her vitals from time to time and to investigate to rule out bacterial sepsis.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.