Child had constipation. Recently started passing mucus in stool. Should I consult a doctor?

Hi. my 3 year old recently started having mucus in his poop. sometimes just mucus. he has a long history of constipation. he has a dr apt in two days. he hasnt had a normal bm in weeks. yesterday was just a small amount of mucus and nothing today
my question is is it safe to wait two days or should he be seen right away. im very worried about him
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 1 hour later

Mucus in absence of blood is usually not to worry. He possibly has habitual constipation, but there is a need to rule out other problems like hirschsprungs disease (rare cause).

I would not be worried especially if he is not having abdominal pain, vomiting, abdominal distension and if the is eating well and active; however if any of these symptoms are there, then may need to see doctor urgently.

Hope I answered your query. Should you have any other concerns, I will be glad to help.

Wish him a good healthy life ahead