Child had cold, fever and nasal congestion. No relief from medication. Blood test done. What is wrong?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My son is 4.5 years old. He caught cold which resulted in fever in the month of November 2012- he caught from his uncle which was a viral infection. He was given cold medicine, Levolin syrup etc. He got fever 4 times in 2 months but there was no typical weightloss. So his Pediatrician told we will go for screening if he gets it again within a week. She gave supplements and he was very normal, gained weight in the last 2 months. But he has the cold within him, slight cough, there will be sneezing and phlegm coming from nose. I gave tulsi juice, bettle leaf juice once in a while to keep the cold away. Once the summer started I stopped giving home medicines, as it may increase his body heat. Suddenly (March(2nd week)2 weeks before, he got slight fever and in the night there was severe nasal congestion and fever of 103.2 deg. He vomitted a lot of phlegm then the fever reduced. He had vomiting for one more day and there was throat infection. Pediatrician gave the antibiotic - CLAMP KID. He was fine. But he got fever again. Cough is there, She told there is no congestion and she prescribed Ambrolite - Levo. He used to get lot of phlegm from his nose when he coughs. Nowadays he is getting slight temperature(max - 99.7deg) when the air is chill, and once we keep him by switching off the fan and cover him, he sweats out(without any paracetemol) and he is very normal. He is active and appetite is Ok kind. Atleast he eats well twice a day. I have taken Blood tests and X-ray. Yet to get the X-ray result. Not very sure of what it is...
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 48 minutes later
Hi,welcome to HCM!

Your son's problem seems to be wheezing attacks mostly induced by seasonal viral infections.
I see that u are in Chennai and now with the onset of summer he should improve,
.Little cough after viral infections is common and rather prolonged.

Let us wait for the X-ray and blood tests which may indicate
Follow-up: Child had cold, fever and nasal congestion. No relief from medication. Blood test done. What is wrong? 22 hours later
Thanks Doctor. The results have come. Montoux test is negative. X-ray doesnot show any significant markings.

Blood test:

ESR - 52mm

RBC - 5.000millions
Hb - 12.6

WBC - 0000

Urine routine and culture are normal.

He again got fever today morning - it reached 100.4(underarm temperature). With 2.5ml of P-250, he sweats out in 20 min. After that he is very active and normal. Eating - ok. Dont know whether I could send him to school. He is almost getting it everyday morning around 4am. I am totally tensed on this. Please advice me.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 21 minutes later
Neg mantoux and normal X-ray rule out the tuberculosis .Also pnumonias are ruled out.

But ESR is high and suggests there is some infection or inflammation somewhere.
Also you did not give me the differential count results like how many neutrophils and how many lymphocytes and whether eosiniphils are high?

Because it may be a viral infection which has not cleared, or allergy precipitating wheezing,congestion, and secondary infection.

Being in Chennai,we can not forget typhoid,malaria,dengue etc.

ESP intermittent fever,chills in this weather,and sweating can go with malaria even if smear is negative for malaria.

Having a good appetite is a good sign.

Don't send him to school if he is not well.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma