Child had burns to his body. What is the classification of paracetamol needed?

Feb 2013

I would like to know what classification is paracetamol and do you need two nurses to check (in New Zealand) the drug for a 3 year old child with 60 - 70% burns to his body
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antipyretic and mild analgesic.Nurses will check.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Paracetamol or acetaminophen is classified as a mild analgesic and antipyretic. It is used to reduce fever and mild pain.

In a child with 60-70 % of burns of the body, the cause for death may be multiorgan failures mostly due to secondary infection and sepsis or shock because of hypovolemia due to excessive fluid loss from the body.

ALT (liver enzyme) will be elevated in any type of acute liver injury such as ischemic liver injury because of shock, infection and generalized sepsis, toxins, or drugs.

In burns, the elevated ALT may be ascribed to many factors such as infection, hypovolemia, hypotension, shock, multi organ damage because of sepsis, and inherent side effects of drugs like antibiotics.

It is very difficult to attribute and relate the elevated level of ALT to paracetamol exclusively.

Instead, the blood or plasma levels of acetaminophen (paracetamol) will tell whether the excess doses are given or not.

Two nurses may check the drug before administration to know the prescribed instructions.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.