Child had black stool with tint of green. On same formula. Cause?

My ten month old daughter had a bowel movement today that was black, with the smallest tint of green but more black than anything. She has been on the same formula for 6 months and she is on solids. She had half a jar of prunes/ apples about 2 1/2 hours before he BM the consistency was like a mud pie ( sorry, only way I can think to describe it). This has never happened before. Should I call pediatrician? Thanks!
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to panic at this stage

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

Such a phenomenon frequently occurs among the infants.
Its possible that your daughters system has not accepted the food that she has taken and that has led to the change in the consistency of her stool. The black colour is due to the bile salts in the stool.
If your baby is not crying or cranky at yhis stage with tense abdomn and hqving fever and behaving as usual you need not bother. Let her feed her routine. If this recurrs on her usual feed again then you wil have to contact the pediattician and arrange for a stool examination. Until that occurs you can relax.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.