Child had a CBC test. Should I be worried about high MPV ?

Feb 2013

My 12 year old son recently had a cbc completed to check for issues causing fatigue. Results came back with BUN 15, creatine .64 (low) BUN/creatine ratio 23.4 (high). My other concern was an MPV of 14.2, platelets were normal at 202. He has complained about stomach pain in the past but I am really concerned with this high MPV number at such a young age. Wbc were normal. Looking to request an hdl and ldl count next. Provider did not seem to concerned and I first recognized it when the blood analysis was received in the mail.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer: results to be correlated clinically by the doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. The results of tests you send looks of little clinical significance. But uploading the pictures or scanned copies of test reports with all normal reference ranges will help us to interpret them in a better way. BUN value of 15 is in normal range. Low creatinine value of 0.64 is not an abnormal finding. High creatinine value is suggestive of kidney pathology. As your son creatinine value is low, it is not an abnormal finding. As creatinine is low, automatically the BUN/creatinine ratio showed high value and it can be taken as normal. Mean Platelet Volume (MPV) is used to look for the causes of low platelet count. As the child platelet count is normal, high MPV can not be assumed as abnormal. Therefore I suggest you not to conclude or interpret the test results as abnormal without discussing with his pediatrician. Some values may not be clinically significant or not clinically relevant to child symptoms so the provider didn't seem to concerned. Therefore I advice you to consult the pediatrician along with the child and reports for interpretation and clinical correlation and to discus your concerns and the doctor will clarify your concerns. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.