Child had VSD closure surgery. Prescribed Eptoin for seizures. EEG and brain mapping normal. Side effects?

Feb 2013

Hi, My 2 months old bhanja had VSD closure surgery on 25th aug.On 2nd day of his operation when he was in ICU he got seizure two times.Doctor has done his EEG and brain mapping but everything is normal in report.Doctor has suggessted that for taking safty measure there is need of eptoin oral suspension medicine.Doctor prescribed eptoin for next 3 months.For so small kid should we go with this medicine as we all listen a lot about its side effect.we are giving him eptoin for last 10 days.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

As the child developed two episodes of seizures, Eptoin is required to prevent further episodes of seizures in the future.

Preventing the seizure episode is always better than treating the seizure when it occurs because of inherent and associated complications of a seizure episode.

Yes, there are side effects with eptoin, but the benefit is more in preventing the seizure episode in comparison to its side effects.

And most of eptoin side effects are because of prolonged treatment like for 1 to 2 years. As the child is advised eptoin for the next 3 months only, the side effects will be less.

The doctor will enquire and evaluate for side effects in the follow up visits and he will advise any modification in drug if required, so nothing to worry.

Therefore I advise you to follow your doctor treatment advise and continue eptoin as per the prescription.

Closely observe for any drug reactions and side effects and be in regular follow up with the treating doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.