Child had MMR shot and has been having loose stools. Is this reaction to vaccine?

Feb 2013

Child had mmr shot a week ago and has been having loose stools 2 to 4 times a day, is this a reaction to vaccine? What should we do?

Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 46 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Fever, rash, or decreased appetite may develop after 4 to 10 days of MMR vaccination and these are mild reactions of vaccination.

Loose motion is not a reaction of MMR vaccination.

Loose stools are due to gastroenteritis which could be due to a virus.

The mainstay of treatment in loose stools is to maintain the hydration of the child.

You can give sips of oral rehydration solutions like Pedialyte to maintain the hydration of the child.

Monitor child hydration status by her activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moist tongue and oral cavity.

Oral probiotic sachets containing saccharomyces boulardi or lactobacillus spores can be given for 3 to 5 days to restore healthy, protective gut flora.

Oral zinc can be supplemented for 2 weeks to decrease water content of loose stools and to prevent recurrent diarrhea.

Therefore I advise you to consult her pediatrician for assessment of the child and prescription of medication for her diarrhea.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.