Child had IBS. Started vomiting and having stomach discomfort. Is this an infection?

Good

Question
10 year old daughter with past IBS type issues; for 2 days has had stomach discomfort, 1 good bowel movement yesterday, not ate, and drinking as much as I can get down her. Some vomiting...twice the vomit was a bright almost neon XXXXXXX Does she have an obstruction or is this an infection?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

reen vomit is often thought to be that color because of bile. The biliary pigments are substances that are made by the liver, stored in the gallbladder and released into the gastrointestinal tract in order to help with digestion of food.
XXXXXXX or bilious vomit can occur when the regurgitant forces are high, and therefore propel the small intestine's contents all the way up. It can occur in a gastrointestinal virus. However a major concern if someone is having bile in their vomit is if their is a blockage in the gastorintestinal tract.

You should get your daughter evaluated from a doctor and get an ultrasound of the abdomen done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Child had IBS. Started vomiting and having stomach discomfort. Is this an infection? 1 hour later
Thank you for the response; she has had a history of severe constipation, will that cause the bright-green vomit? I have experienced a lot of symptoms related to constipation and digestive issues when it come to her, the bright XXXXXXX vomit is a new one for me and is what's raising my concern.

I have a call into our doctor-on-call, but don't expect an answer anytime soon since office hours begin in three hours. Is this something where I can wait on the doctor's office to open or should I go ahead and take her to a Priority Care Clinic that is part of our county hospital?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Nausea followed by vomiting, especially a XXXXXXX colored vomit indicating the presence of bile, is an indication of bowel obstruction which is persistent and can be due to severe chronic constipation.

You should report to your doctor in the morning and get it evaluated. However if there are persistent vomitings and severe abdominal pain then it needs emergent management.