Child grinding teeth while sleeping. Why does this happen?

Lately I have noticed my daughter aged 4.5 Years grind her teeth while sleeping. It is sporadic and not constant. Why does this happen and how can I get this corrected?
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later
Brief Answer: it is normal, nothing to worry Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX The symptoms that your daughter is experiencing is normal. It is expected not only in this age but as adults also. It is due to stress, excess physical activity or mental strain in adults. As for your daughter, it may be that she is disturbed a bit while she is playing or at school or she might be getting angry too often. This is reflected as teeth grinding while she sleeps. Nothing to be worried about this. It is normal. You could probably wake her up at those times and make her comfortable on your lap or shoulders. She should be fine with it. This should gradually disappear as she becomes an adult. For now, no correction is required for this. Hope this makes things easier for you. Take care and regards,