Child got sunburn and bumps after shaving hairs on scalp. Will it be cured or should I go for treatment?

Hello, my husband shaved both of my kids's heads like 3 days prior to going to the beach, my oldest is 7 and my youngest 2 1/2, he shaved his head as well; due to the unusual and new haircut I completely forgot to put sunscreen on their scalp and they all got really bad sunburn; my husband got some sort of bumps all over his scalp, one of them popped and leaked for a whole day and it was a little bit swollen and it went away in a couple of days; my 7 year old's scalp was red and 3 days after going to the beach he woke up with a huge swollen forehead , so bad that it makes his face look completely different, he is not complaining of any pain but I don't know what to give him, since he is 7 and I'm not sure if I should take him to a doctor or if this is going to go away on it's own.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 3 hours later

If your kid suffers from severe blistering, confusion, nausea, vomiting, fainting or dizziness, you should take him to a doctor.

Swelling of the forehead is generally not considered serious or life-threatening and can occur as a result of the sunburn, but one of the most common causes is contact dermatitis, an allergic reaction that occurs when the skin touches a substance it finds irritating.

Do you think his forehead has been in contact with cosmetics or the fabric lining of a hat?

Swelling being still there after Allertec, then it should be the result of the overexposure to the sun and you should use cold compresses or aloe vera gel to the sunburn to soothe the pain. The skin has to regenerate new cells in order to heal the burns, so it will take a few days, but it is not necessary to take him to a doctor.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD