Child got rectal prolapse because of constipation. Prescribed duphalac, shield rectal ointment. Diet?

Good

Ayurveda Specialist
Question
my son is 11 months old and he has got rectal prolapse(reducible) because of constipation. what conservative treatment should i do at home. how to manage this problem. i already changed his diet with food XXXXXXX in fiber. i consulted with my pediatrician. he prescribed duphalac sy and shield rectal ointment for 7 days. but no improvement.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Ayurveda

Answered by Dr. Nikul Patel 16 hours later
Hello

I am sorry that your son has developed rectal prolapse early at this age. As you noticed, constipation is the most important cause and needs to be rectified.

I am glad that you have already changed his food. The following are my suggestions:
a. Bakery food like biscuits
b. Do not give him curd
c. Milk and liquid diet is advisable most
d. Give Ripe Papaya every day to him
e. Do not give those food which can make him trouble of constipation.

In addition ayurveda has few local applicants which can be applied externally.
a. Changeri ghrit (OR)
b. Mooshak Tailam

These products are not easily available in the market. You can try at any of your ayurveda pharmacy; the pharmacist will know about these products and may help you in obtaining it.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr. Nikul Patel
Ayurveda Consultant

Follow-up: Child got rectal prolapse because of constipation. Prescribed duphalac, shield rectal ointment. Diet? 4 hours later
OK Doctor. Thanks a lot. If i get the medicines how many days should i apply it. Is there any other home remedy or herbs for this rectal prolapse.

Answered by Dr. Nikul Patel 29 minutes later

The oil or ghrit are medicated processed with Ayurveda herbs and it works by restoration and strengthening of the muscles which are involved in prolapse.
You will have to continue for 3-4 months.

For home remedies; there is not any options which can treat perfectly.

Dr. Nikul Patel
Ayurveda Consultant