Child got migraine attack. MRI and EEG normal. Prescribed decorate. Is this medicine safe and effective?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
my daughter aged 16 years had first time attacks of migraine last year one in august 2012 and one in early feb 2013....we went to neurologist....he had taken CT scan and found some calcification...for second opinion went to another doctor...he checked and took MRI EEG...AND REPORT SAID NORMAL...iam attaching report copy...however he prescribed decorate 250 for 60 days 1-1..and ...ket 10 and dom..suggested if attack of migraine...pl suggest whether decorate prescription is correct.

at present no problems....if required i shall scan the CT report(only if required)

Attached MRI and EEG reports for reference
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 25 minutes later

Thank you for posting your migraine.

I am satisfied that the EEG and MRI of brain are normal. I have read the detailed reports.

Migraine needs preventive treatment only if the patient has three or more episodes of headache per month (as per the International guidelines). Dicorate ER (divalproex) is a preventive medication used for preventing repeated episodes of headaches. As per the history provided by you, I see that XXXXXXX has had very infrequent headaches. So, I would not start dicorate ER for her (especially looking at the side effects of this drug).

I hope it clarifies.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My Website: WWW.WWWW.WW My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/