Child got injured while cleaning ear wax, discharge from wax, bleeding. What can I do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i was cleaning out my 4 year old sons ears with an qtip, and it got way too far in and it hit him, he screamed when that happened......he cried for a loong time....and now when i see theres discharge from wax and it's kinda bloody, it's very liquidy...soo i'm wondering should i take him to my family dr.? or what can i do at home?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
You might have accidentally injured his tympanic membrane or ear drum causing XXXXXXX blood oozing or serous discharge.
At present you should avoid applying or inserting anything in that ear and take him to your family doctor or preferably an ear nose throat surgeon (ENT specialist) for ruling out a traumatic tear of tympanic membrane and if required appropriate ear drops for pain and discharge.
It's best not to fiddle with it anymore unless the doctor has assessed the nature and severity of the injury.
If a minor tear or abrasion its likely to resolve on it's own but still might needs antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infection.
So kindly seek prompt consultation.