Child got hit on throat, now has fever. No discomfort or breathing difficulty. Should I be concerned?

Jun 2015

My 3 year old daughter stepped in front of a swing and got kicked in the throat. I wasn't too concerned as she was able to eat and drink. She is asleep now and has a fever. Should I be concerned?
She is asleep and doesn't appear to have any difficulty breathing.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 54 minutes later

The presence of fever can be attributed to the the trauma to the throat which might have caused inflammation of the soft tissues of the throat.
Though the possibilities are less, as your daughter did not complain of any pain while eating & drinking, the inflammatory process may be slowly developing.

So, it will be better to observe if she complains of any symptoms in the morning.

Symptomatic relief from fever can be obtained by administration of antipyretic syrup like paracetamol.
But, if it persists or recurs, then it will be better to consult a Pediatrician.
In that case, fever may not be related to the injury in throat & hence a proper physical examination is needed to find out the exact cause.

Wishing her a good health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.

P.S : And as you have mentioned that she is not having any breathing difficulty, it can be a viral fever which will subside on its own by symptomatic management.
There is no need to worry, your daughter will be fine.