Child got head injury. There is no swelling, fluid coming from nose or ears. Chances of brain damage?

My son is 6.5 months old and he hit his soft spot. He was trying to stand up using a bathroom (metal) garbage can. And he fell down still holding the rim of the garbage can. The opposite end of the rim hit right on his soft spot. I am not sure how hard but I am soooo scared because it seemed like he hit it really hard. He didnt cry all he did was have the chills. He has no swelling or bulging just an indent. And I do not recall if the indent was the same size prior to this incident. Ive checked his pupils, they do not seem any different. I did not notice any blood or fluid coming from his nose or ears. He seems to still be active, crawling, babbling and trying to walk. My concern is could there be brain damage without any noticeable symptoms? Would I have to look for personality changes, slower learning disabilities... He is still eating and sleeping like usual.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The child most like has not suffered any significant head injury.
The signs of significant head injury are- seizures, unequal pupils, change in consciousness level, ear/nose bleed, racoon eyes, vomitting etc.
Nature has given the infants potential resilience, flexibility and physiological reserve. children are suscepible to accidents and must be in full time watch.
Your child is doing all the activities robustly and you do not need to monitor any parameters except being more careful and vigilant in future.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Child got head injury. There is no swelling, fluid coming from nose or ears. Chances of brain damage? 4 hours later

If it wasn't a serious injury but still an injury to the brain, would I notice any symptoms? Maybe not so much something I see like liquid or bumps but maybe a change in their personality?

So, If he was hit hard on his head what could be the effects?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Welcome back to HCM!
The child can have two/three or much of the problems I have already mentioned in the previous answer.
The effects would be immediate in case of infants.
When the injury has not manifested in that way means it is not significant which means it has no potential for affecting the personality or memory or any other long term sequelae but you should beware for future.
Child is lucky otherwise he could have suffered major injury also.
You need to be careful in preventing injuries rather than delving too much after it has taken place.
I hope the advise would be useful for you.
Wishing you a great health.