Child got head injury. Started having headache and feeling nausea. Should I be concerned?

Nov 2013

my son hit the top middle part of his head really hard. He did not pass out and i kept ice on it for some time. This was on Saturday evening. He is now complaining that his headache is worse and he is worried that he is confused. Slightly nauseated but he has eaten loads and went out on the Saturday night and drank alcohol etc. should i be concerned? My son is 19 years old
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 23 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that the symptoms in your son do not suggest any serious head injury, and there is no need to worry at present.

Symptoms are suggestive of mild head injury and would improve over a few days.

As of now, he can take analgesics such as ibuprofen or diclofenac tablets for symptom relief.

Please watch for the following warning symptoms:
Repeated vomiting, blurred or double vision, drowsiness, weakness of arm or leg, fits, etc. If any of these develop, he should go to the ER and get a CT brain done.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Child got head injury. Started having headache and feeling nausea. Should I be concerned? 15 hours later
he has been vomiting many times in the night and he has a fever and is very thirsty. I think this may be a virus like the noro virus and is not related to his head bang. He is feeling really ill but not blurry vision or numb limbs.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more information.

I agree with you that his current symptoms are more like a viral illness.

You can continue with symptomatic treatment with ondansetron (to control vomiting) and take care of his hydration (with fluids and juices).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM