Child got food poisoning. Started vomiting and diarrhea. What is causing pain in arm and hand?

My nine year old daughter has very bad food poisoning (from fish) with vomiting and diarreah - we are trying to keep her fluids up to avoid her dehydrating... She's looking a little better now after being very sick for the past 10 hours...but she's complaining of very bad pain in her left arm and hand... What could be causing this pain? We are here visiting from Australia. We hope to hear from you. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX ....
Thanks for your query. I understand the concern for your daughter that too when she falls ill in an alien country. Food poisoning is a common problem for foreigners visiting the Indian subcontinent due to unhygienic food handling practices prvalent here. It is encouraging that your daughter has started to improve with hydration. Pain, numbness and tingling sensation in arms are also other manifestations of food posioning and associated dehydration due to diarrhoea/vomiting. Some of the fishes may also trigger allergic reaction post food poisoning. At this point i would suggest you to replenish her with adequte fluids. If symptoms persist, anti-allergic (antihistaminergic drugs) and analgesics can be other options to consider.I would also suggest you check her electrolyte levels once (sodium, potaasium, chloride) to be on the safrer side. Wish your child speedy recovery.
Dr Sundar