Child got diarrhea after overdosing on Vitamin C lozenges. Now feels better. Should I be worried?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 4 year old got into my Halls Vitamins C lonzenges and ate 5-10 of them. He just had diarrhea. He ate the lonzenges about 5 hours ago. The diarrhea was relatively small and he said his stomach feels better. Should I be worried? My son is 35#s and I don't know how many inches tall he is.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 17 minutes later

Please do not panic, fortunately for you, vitamin c being a water soluble vitamin wil be flushed out of his body and not cause any major side effects. The minor bowel upset he has, could be due the other ingredients like menthol etc. which may irritate gut.

As of now, just keep him well hydrated with plenty of water and fluids.

If the diarrhoea persists for more than a day you might need to consult your pediatrician who can examine him thoroughly and if required test his stooland treat him accordingly.

If in the next few hours he develops any new symptom like fever, pain,vomiting, irritability or breathing difficulty then consult your doctor promptly.

As of now, it doesn't seem worrisome and the development of above symptoms after 5 hrs is unlikely.

So dont worry, but in the future please be more cautious and keep medicines away from children.

Hope I have answered your query.

I'll be available for any follow up queries.