Child got bruises on body, dark raised spots on tongue post immunization shots. Blood reports normal. What could this be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My four year old grandson had his immunization shots thursday and late thursday nite he had 2 large bruises, friday morning he was covered in bruises and has 2 dark raised spots on his tongue. His blood was checked, red and white blood cells ok, platlets was 3. What could this be?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 23 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Before advising you on these bruises, I would like to know some details about the immunization shots and rash.

What shots has he received?

Is there any itching?

Is he having any fever?

What is the opinion of his doctor regarding the bruises and dark raised spots on tongue?

Some times there may be allergic skin reactions after immunization but it is not that much common.

But physical examination is important to diagnose the skin lesions.

And if you upload the pictures of skin rash in your next follow up query, it will be helpful to advise you in a better way.

Awaiting for the details I have asked and for the picture if possible.

Thank you for contacting on Healthcare Magic.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child got bruises on body, dark raised spots on tongue post immunization shots. Blood reports normal. What could this be? 1 hour later
All I know is he had his 4 yr immunization shots. He hasn't had a fever and I don't have any pics. To be honest he has been admitted to MUSC Children's hospital but 6 six looked at him and don't know what it is. Blood specialist are to see him sometime today. Some of the places on him are like fluid filled blisters. We do have many autoimmune diseases in family, Chrons, fibromyalgia, gout, rheumoid arthritis and I have insomnia also.

How do I send Pics ?
I can't get the pics to forward from here. Do you have a phone number. He is getting worse. Everytime he moves he gets another bruise. He now has blood filled blisters. I have a pic of his tongue, the black spots are at the back of his tongue and a light brown color behind them. they are about the size of a small pea and perfectly round.

He now has a rash. bruises in nose and mouth

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

At present this type of skin reactions from immunization seems unlikely.

Spontaneous bruising or bruising with minimal injury is suggestive of disorder of blood clotting system.

And fluid filled blisters are seen in some viral fevers and some skin diseases.

Child needs further investigations to rule out diseases causing abnormality of blood clotting system, viral and bacterial infections causing this types of skin bruises, and vasculitis which involve blood vessels.

And a dermatologist opinion will be helpful to diagnose the type of the skin condition.

And you can upload the picture with the website up-loader in the last column of upload image/report.

Therefore as the child was hospitalized, you can discuss with the treating pediatrician for the possible medical condition and its management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

I wish your grandson a speedy recovery.

Regards.