Child got blood in bowel movement. What could be this?

My daughter is 14 and has just told me that when she just had a bowel movement there was blood in her stool , please help with a answer I'm worried?
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 27 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Blood in the stool could be because of various causes.

It could be because of dysentery. In dysentery, there is bacterial infection of the gut and stool is associated with blood. There may be mucus, fever, and pain while passing stool. We treat these conditions with antibiotics, probiotics etc.

Another common condition is fissure. Here there is a tear in the mucosa of terminal part of the gut. This happens when a hard stool is passed as in constipation. There is associated pain while passing stool. Here we treat the constipation with various measures like life style changes (high fiber food, increase in water intake etc) and various medicines that help to decrease constipation.

Polyps, Hemorrhoids, colitis, diverticulitis are the other conditions that cause blood in stool.

So depending on the associated complaints, we come to a diagnosis.

Sometimes stool examination along with local examination will help in diagnosis. Rarely may we require a rectoscopy or colonoscopy for confirming the diagnosis.

User selected category simply means that closest category that you choose about your health concern. eg: If your query is about parenting, then you choose the category 'Parenting'.

Hope this helps.