Child goes to sleep immediatly on starting breastfeeding. Should i give it lactogen or something else?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my baby goes off to sleep immediatly on starting breastfeeding, and it keeps on crying for milk, but does not suckle on to breast, instead goes off to sleep, should i give it lactogen or something else, as i feel weak and giddy while sitting very frequently as it does not suckle on to the breasts and want milk also.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later
This is a common problem in newborns but the solution is not top feeding .
Remember breastfeeding is the best nutrition you can give your baby.
First and foremost you have to consult a pediatrician or lactation consultant to rule out any problem in the baby's mouth like defect in palate, any anomaly or injury or any colic issues which make the baby suckle less.
The other maternal problems like inverted or flat nipples, engorged breasts , inappropriate latching or position of feeding also need to be ruled out.
If any such issue exists then it can be managed and baby can breastfeed better .
Otherwise you can express your milk in a bottle or bowl and feed the baby expressed breast milk.
Lactogen is only advised if mothers milk is inadequate or unavailable .
To increase your milk doctor may advise supplements like satvarex powder or other galactogogues .
So don't lose hope and consult your doctor as soon as possible.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Follow-up: Child goes to sleep immediatly on starting breastfeeding. Should i give it lactogen or something else? 6 hours later
ma'am the problem is not breast feeding the kid, the problem is that i am getting tierd by feeding him again and again after every hour, i am not getting enough rest due to this, thats why to avoid me getting troubled to feed him every hourly late at night, can i give him top feed so that he does not disturb me at night and i also get enough rest.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for the follow up.
I understand your situation that you get tired due to frequent feeding .
Many mothers go through this phase and believe me it will soon pass away and once your baby completes 3months he will have a predictable feeding and sleeping schedule.It is very true that you absolutely need enough rest and sleep for having good health so that you can feed and care for the baby.
Your baby needs a lot of comfort feeding ie the action of suckling which some babies desire more in early months so he suckles very frequently .
Now this can be solved by using expressed breast milk which you should express before going to sleep and store it in a sterilized bottle at room temperature (3-4 hrs) or in fridge(24 hrs) . Any caretaker ( father or grandparents) should take the responsibility of feeding the same to the baby at night.
There are many breast pumps available in market for easy expression of milk .
The advantage of this is that the baby is getting benefit of breastmilk at the same time you can get some rest.
Also remember to sleep when the baby sleeps even during daytime so that you get the required amount of sleep . For good milk supply you should have nutritious food frequently and you may take galactogogues like satvarex powder ( 2tbsp twice daily).
If still there are problems and you want to go ahead with top feeding then you can give lactogen 1 for newborns.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.