Child given nasal flu vaccine and has developed painful sores on tongue. Could this be related to vaccine?

My 3 year old son was given the nasal flu vaccine on Friday and has developed painful sores on his tongue, could this be related to the vaccine ?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these sores on the tongue of your son. I hope it gets over soon. Congratulations for getting your child well armed as we head into the flu season.

The nasal spray flu vaccine has not been observed or reported to cause oral sores. The common side effects of this vaccine include runny nose, sore throat and fever. My greatest suspicion is that these are coincidental events/happening and not a cause-effect relationship between the two.

Oral sores are often managed with regular mouth baths with and antiseptic and pain medications like paracetamol. If they should interfere with drinking and or eating, then you should consult a doctor for a prompt assessment and management to make sure we are not missing out on any thing concerning. Also, any fever more than 38.5 degree should prompt a consultation.

I hope this helps. Thank you for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish your son a speedy recovery.
Dr. Ditah. MD