Child given methadone for severe depression. What is the best option to cure depression?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
My daughter is on methadone 2 ml a day. The last 2 weeks she has been having severe depression. What should she do and what options for medication can she take to help this depression
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: SSRIs are the best option for her. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! In my opinion, the best option for your daughter would be to start a medicine of the SSRI class (sertraline, escitalopram, fluoxetine etc). This will treat her depression as well as work in her PTSD symptoms as well. SSRIs are both safe and effective and are first line of management for both depression and anxiety. In addition to starting medication, she should try to assess if there is something that is making her depressed and if there is something that can be done to counter it. For example, if she is distressed about a particular event, she would need to change the way she thinks about it. It will not be easy for her but it will help. Cognitive behavior therapy is based on these principles and can be taken up if a therapist is available. She should also try to stick to regular hours and to get adequate sleep. If she can do some exercise daily, it will help. Please let me know if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry