Child given first DPT painful vaccine. Want to give painless vaccine. Suggest?

Pediatrician
Question
MY SON IS 2.5 MONTHS OLD.FOR THE FIRST DOSE OF DPT WE ARE GIVEN HIM A PAINFULL VACCINE BUT FOR THE SECOND DOSE I WANT TO GO FOR PAINLESS DPT. IS IT SAFE TO GIVE PAINLESS VACCINE AFTER GIVING PAINFULL VACCINE?IF I GO FOR PAINLESS DPT THAN HOW MUCH DOSES SHOULD BE GIVEN TO HIM?
is there any side effects of ROTAVIRUS VACCINE such as loose motions, fever etc.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can give

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX

If your son has received painful that is whole cell vaccine as first dose, painless that is acellular vaccine can be safely given this time.

Schedule of doses remains same for both vaccines that is total 3 doses - 4 weeks apart.

Regarding rotavirus vaccine, it is totally safe. Some babies can have loose motions; but it is mild and settles in a day or two. Fever is very unlikely.

Give your baby vaccines as per schedule and at proper time...

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health.

God bless...

Follow-up: Child given first DPT painful vaccine. Want to give painless vaccine. Suggest? 2 days later
my baby is doing watery yellow/green stool from last 3 days.In stool test mucus is positive,WBC/HPF is 4-6/HPF and Reducing sugar is YELLOWISH GREEN (BENEDICTS).Please tell me what does it means and what is the reason behind this.What should be done to cure this problem.

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Relax.there is nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again.

Stool test shows white cells 4 to 6/hpf.there is nothing to worry as small amount

of white cells are not a matter of concern.

Wbc>10/hpf along with presence of Rbc suggest infection.

Regarding reducing sugar yellowish green benedicts test suggest 0.5 to 1%

sugar.

Reducing sugar in stools is due to non absorption of sugar.

But there is nothing to worry as it is weakly positive.

I suggest you to continue with breastfeeding every 2 to 3 hours.

Give probiotic like lactobaccilus 2 times a day foe 2 to 3 days.

Watch his;
- activity.
-urine output.
-feeding pattern

In case he becomes lethargic and symptoms persist get him evaluated by

pediatrician for further management.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any further query.

Take care...